Regardless of how careful most drivers try to be, there’s always that one driver who’s going to be reckless, drunk, or distracted. This means even the most careful drivers can find themselves in a car crash every time they go out on the road. Negligent drivers put all the other road users’ safety at risk and make them more vulnerable to devastating crashes and catastrophic injuries.
Fortunately, responsible drivers may possibly lower their risk of getting involved in a crash by keeping in mind the top causes of motor vehicle crashes in Connecticut. Based on statistics from the Connecticut Crash Data Repository, the top causes of crashes in CT from 2020 to May 2022 are:
- 49,063 drivers followed too closely
- 40,789 drivers failed to stay in their lanes
- 20,205 drivers failed to yield the right-of-way
- 12,575 drivers drove too fast for the conditions
- 10,156 drivers committed improper backing
- 6,909 drivers ran off the roadway
- 6,682 drivers made improper turns
- 4,844 drivers operated their vehicles in a negligent or inattentive manner
- 4,676 drivers committed improper passing
- 4,634 drivers ran a stop sign
Other causes of crashes in CT include running a red light, reckless driving, over-steering, disregarding traffic signs or road markings, driving the wrong way or the wrong side of the road, and overtaking cyclists. These motor vehicle crashes resulted in 659 fatal injuries, 3,107 serious injuries, and 29,715 minor injuries.
Protecting Your Legal Rights After a Car Crash in CT
Drivers, passengers, pedestrians, bicyclists, motorcyclists, and bystanders who have suffered injuries in a car crash can take the following steps to make sure they recover proper compensation for their losses:
- Call 911 or seek emergency medical attention if needed. Head to the hospital for a medical evaluation, even if the injuries seem minor. Injured parties will need their medical records to prove their injuries.
- Contact the police to report the accident.
- Document the accident scene. Gather as much information as possible, including the insurance information of the at-fault party, their contact details, and statements from any eyewitnesses. Take videos and photos of the accident scene and injuries suffered.
- Don’t accept the at-fault party’s insurer’s settlement offer, and don’t talk to them about the crash without first talking to a CT car accident lawyer. Let the lawyer handle all the back-and-forth discussions and negotiations with the insurer.
Talk to a Seasoned CT Roadside Lawyer Today
A motor vehicle crash can turn anyone’s life upside down in a second. For people who have been hurt in a crash, reach out to a skilled CT roadside lawyer right away. The lawyers of Berman & Russo have been serving clients throughout Connecticut for many years and have the necessary experience and resources to secure compensation for accident victims.
To find out more about bringing a claim or lawsuit against a negligent motorist, fill out this online contact form or call 860-644-1548 to set up a free consultation with a seasoned CT injury lawyer.