Before knowing what are the types of charges that get included in DUI-related cases, you first need to understand what DUI is. When a person hears someone say “DUI”, they think of someone getting caught while driving under the influence of alcohol, or 0.8 BAC, which means Blood Alcohol Concentration. We all know drinking and driving is a forbidden crime. It risks the lives of both the driver and the pedestrians as well. But DUI doesn’t just include the 0.8 BAC, rather it also includes someone driving under the influence of drugs, alcohol, or any other intoxicating compounds. Regardless of the types of charges, driving in any intoxicating state should be avoided, being responsible is what should be expected from every individual on the road, be it a driver or a pedestrian.
There are broadly 6 types of charges that can confirm their presence under DUI. The following charges are:
- Type 1: This includes the basic BCA rule, or the 0.8 rule. This signifies the fact that the driver is in a state of 8% alcohol concentration in their blood. This amount of alcohol is considered unsafe for driving, and it can endanger their lives as well.
- Type 2: This stands to be slightly different from that of type 1. Here the quote, “under the influence of alcohol” plays a further greater role. If an individual is found to be under the influence of any amount of alcohol, that denies them to be safe while driving, can be charged with DUI, without even the presence of chemical testing.
- Type 3: This includes the prohibition of “intoxicating substances”. A person found in the physical possession of a vehicle under the influence of any intoxicating stuff can be charged with DUI.
- Type 4: If you are found under the influence of even legally prescribed medicines/drugs, and you are incapable of driving responsibly, you can be charged under the act of DUI.
- Type 5: A person found in physical possession of a vehicle, while under the influence of combined drugs, alcohol, and other intoxicating stuff, can be charged under the act of DUI.
- Type 6: The last type relies on the use of chemical testing to find out whether the person in actual physical possession of the vehicle is safe to drive or not. If found under the influence of any Cannabis, you can be charged with DUI.
Be it under any type of charge, driving under the influence of any intoxicating stuff should be prohibited. All individuals should be responsible on the road while driving.